What does a funeral director do?
Your funeral director is there to help guide you through the decision making process. What will happen at the funeral service, which venue do you want to hold the service at, who do you wish to take the service.
A funeral director may attend to matters such as:
- Transfer the deceased from the place of death to the mortuary;
- Arrange a time for service at the church, chapel or crematorium;
- Liaise with clergy and coordinate requirements for all denominations;
- Arrange the time for the funeral arriving at the cemetery or crematorium;
- Arrange the death certificates and certificates required for cremation;
- Prepare and insert notices in newspapers;
- Fulfil any wishes including from the Masonic Lodge or RSA;
- Order floral tributes for the family;
- Provide the hearse or floral car for use at the funeral;
- Provide the premises for the funeral service or viewing;
- Collect and return all floral/tribute cards to the family;
- Attend to the registration of the death and obtain certified copies of registration for Work and Income New Zealand;
- Organise funerals anywhere in New Zealand or overseas;
- Advise and assist with welfare benefit claims; and,
- Pay all immediate costs such as cremation or cemetery fees, public notices, medical certificates, offering to the clergy, floral tributes, transportation charges, etc.
The funeral director will supply details of all costs involved in the funeral service, including the cost of the casket selected by the person organising the funeral. They will also discuss a suitable method of payment of their account based on individual circumstances.
Where do I find a funeral director?
Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand can assist you in finding a suitable funeral director. FDANZ members are professionals who are committed to ensuring the families they service are receiving high quality service.
How do I make a complaint about a funeral director?
Complaints about the behaviour of, or service provided by, an a member of FDANZ can be made to:
Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand
PO Box 10-888
Phone: (04) 473 7475